Francs Côtes de Bordeaux
On the Right Bank of the Dordogne and Garonne rivers, 35 km North of Bordeaux (and 20 km via the river). The Côtes de Bourg vineyards stretch over 15 communes.
400 producers, including:
- 2/3 independent winegrowers, mostly consisting of traditional family structures
- 1/3 cooperative members, mostly with very small vineyards (< 5 hectares)
- 4 cooperative cellars (23% of the appellation’s total volume)
What makes the Côtes de Bourg special compared to the overall Bordeaux climate:
- Approximately 10% more sunshine,
- Extremes of temperature that are less by 1-2°C
- Less rain
The Gironde Estuary acts as a thermal buffer (protecting the vines from frost in 1991, for instance).
The area under vine is 3,950 hectares with red wine varieties and 29 hectares with white wine varieties. The average annual production is 180,000 hl of red wine and 1,200 hl of white wine.
A blend of grape varieties red Côtes de Bourg (approx. 4,000 ha):
- Merlot 65 %,
- Cabernet Sauvignon 20 %
- Malbec 10 %,
- Cabernet franc 5 %
White Côtes de Bourg (25 ha):
- Sauvignon blanc 41 %
- Colombard 23 %
- Sémillon 23 %
- Muscadelle 8%
- Sauvignon gris 5 %